Monday, February 22, 2010

Weeks 2 into 3

Well, it seems a bout of laziness has struck me over the last week or so. This is mostly because I've been busy sorting out my class schedule at the University. In any case, alot of things have happened besides and fortunately, the past week and a half is best explained in photos.

I'll start off with a few from Carnaval:
In Spain, Carnaval--or Mardi Gras--is a week-long event. For days in a row, there are events in the streets of Burgos and little children parade the town dressed up as fairies, pirates, superheros and everything in between. They are absolutely adorable. On Sunday, Valentine's Day, I went to see some of the family-oriented events, which included an anamatronic dragon and a parade of medeival pipers. A jester on stilts led the crowd of families down the river and around town.

It was, however, very cold, so my comrades and I ducked into a cafe to warm up. I have now discovered that the best way to warm up is with an Irlandes--coffee and whiskey. Or, more accurately, whiskey with some coffee.
Apparently, one of the waiters thought the sight of me guzzling my drink as if I were Hagrid's long-lost cousin was very attractive, because he slipped me his phone number when I paid my bill. I texted him, trying to figure out which waiter he was and he wouldn't stop calling me for three days!

The following week was pretty non-descript, but this past Saturday we went on a school trip to La Rioja, also known as WINE COUNTRY!! Yes, that is correct. Boston University is paying us to drink. Over the course of the trip we visitted a traditional bodega, a wine museum, and a modern bodega, as well as a hotel designed by Frank Gehry.


a traditional Bodega


the Village of Briones




a modern Bodega


some of these bottles have been chilling since WWI



the ride home was stunning


More soon, hopefully. The Eind!

No comments:

Post a Comment