Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Te Dejo Madrid--

Following a weekend of enjoying nature and pondering monasteries, I managed to undo all the soulfulnnes the next weekend by running around Madrid and Seville, drinking cocktails and watching dizzying flamenco. I'll update about Seville next post, because it merits a fair dedication of time, so for now I'll merely extrapolate upon the marvel that makes up the Capital of Spain.

The best way I can think of to describe this city is a Shakira lyric. Now, don't get me wrong about my taste in music, but I have to admit it; perhaps with the exception of "She Wolf" (and I know my sister will disagree with that), Shakira is actually a great lyricist. And it's my favourite line from her song "Te Dejo Madrid" that really gets at the heart of the city: No puede con uve pequeña vivir. I guess in English it'd mean to live with a capital L.

Life with a capital L: Me, Doris, and Sima making the most of Madrid night life

But really, that's the Vida, the espiritu of Madrid. Madrid is the New York of Spain, defying all expectations of Spanish stereotypes. It's not the place to find flamenco dancers, Arab architecture or bullfighters abound, that's Sevilla's department. No, Madrid is the hub of urban España. Next to the World's Oldest Restaurant (Guinness Book certified) stand ultra-modern apartments and offices. Sex shops and piercing parlours stand next to old-fashioned cervezerias (beer and sandwich shops). And the Plaza Mayor is so full of tourists that no real Madrileño would step foot in there.all tourists: note the video cameras and maps


The juxtaposition of the tranquil Glass Castle and City Park with the diverse population and the strangest street performers I have ever seen make Madrid a real feast for the senses. I honestly can't wait to go back. The art museums, the giant Enrique Iglesias billboards, the countless coffee shops, and the tastiest mojitos I've ever had made it really hard to leave.

my favourite street performer of all time, the ever-creepy (and useless) Confetti Goat Man. I don't know if I get it either, but it's simple in theory: Confetti+ Goat = $. If you come close enough, sometimes he clucks at you.


the Sunday Rastro, or street market, where I cheaply purchased some jewellery and a bag

we got so lucky that the moment we approached the palace the King Of Spain happened to be arriving in his Royal Carriage!


This is me, excited about the Other King of Spain







No comments:

Post a Comment