Thursday, May 6, 2010

Biking in Belgium

As wonderful as Brugge itself was, I would not have as fond memories as I do if I hadn't decided to get a bicycle and ride through the countryside on my last day.

One of the best decisions of my life, and exactly one month later I still have the scabs and scars to prove it. As I tucked my bike map which Erika had loaned me into my bag, I put one leg over the body of the bike. Which is when I realised the bike was much too tall for me. But I was stubborn about biking to the sea or through the countryside and I estimated that once I got on the seat, the peddles would still be reachable. So I decided to try and literally jump onto the seat of the bike.


I kicked with one foot and held my other on one of the peddles. Then I jumped. And how. As I swung my leg over the bike, I had a split-second of time to realise I had no idea what I was doing and I fell off the OTHER SIDE OF THE BIKE. When I visualised myself jumping onto one side of a bicycle and falling off the other, I started to laugh. Laugh enough that my skinned legs stopped burning as I lay on my side on the sidewalk cracking up.

After this incident, though, things went smoothly and I had one of the most beautiful days I can remember. I biked approx. 5 kilometers to a little village called Damme and tried to get lost in the countryside. It is one of the most beautiful and tranquil places I have ever seen and I think the pictures show it. awful picture of me, but here I am excited about some cows.




Ha ha.







No comments:

Post a Comment