Monday, May 3, 2010

Paris, je t'aime

It takes me a while to get attached to people. To develop enough trust to invest a deeper plane of myself into a relationship. But places I have no trouble. I become fond of a place very quickly. I may not settle down and be monogamous to one location, but I develop an easy and intense affection for the majority of new places I lay my head for a little while. And Paris is not a difficult place to call home for a few days.




I went to Versailles and explored the gardens as it rained. Slightly miserable experience but ultimately more than worthwhile.
I went to the Louvre. And solved the Da Vinci Code.

I met some really great people. Here is the group of us that all slept in the same room (with about 4 others) and went to the Louvre together. Please ignore also my stoned-looking face.


I spent sometime with one of my best friends in the whole wide world, my brother from another mother Jason George.

This is my host, on the left, Julien, talking with fellow traveller Mats (from Sweden) over some Polish vodka and bread and cheese. Julien was one of the most gracious and hilarious people I've ever met. Few others can pump you expensive wine and fill you up with inordinate amounts of French cheese while delivering making fun of you with an unexpected one-liner.
My last night in Paris, four of our guests were musicians from Amsterdam who were passing by. Julien did not hesitate to invite a few more of his guitar-owning friends and the twenty of us settled down in the basement with cups of tea or wine for a great party. Below is a video of the Dutch travellers playing a song from the film Once. It's really something and my favourite memory from Paris.


2 comments:

  1. this was a couchsurfing host? how many guests did he have?!? sounds like a crazy but fun surfing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Julien is a professional host. He has people every night, from 1 to 10 in number. He is a nut in the most wonderful way possible.

    ReplyDelete